Thursday 23 June 2016

#TBT - Awesome First Dance Songs

The spotlight is yours...so what's the soundtrack of your moment ?
Via playbuzz.com

There ain't no school like the old school. Life before cellphones, mix tapes (real, honest-to-goodness tapes that you physically made for someone special, after agonizing about the perfect songs) writing actual letters and slipping them into lockers and then rushing to your locker between classes to see if you were the recipient of any letters of your own - man, those were heady, giddy, sometimes ridiculous but never boring times!

Via thefederalist.com

It's no wonder then, that for me, old school music>>>>>>>>>>>> new music, any day, hands down! I do have serious love for some newer/current artists, but you just can't beat the music from yesteryear (oh geez, what is happening to me?!)  Could it be.....

Via Pinterest 
Sometimes when we're working with couples and they talk about their wedding music, we perk right up and start brainstorming songs, especially first dance songs. Spoiler alert: they're a mix of quirky, oldies and just good, sweet songs. Some are old-school, some feel old-school, and regardless of how old they are, they'll always be cool.  These are the gems that always pop up for us, so that means these bands or artists must've done something very right, hey?

'All I Want Is You' - U2



True story: This was April's wedding song! It was a beautiful moment that was even greater when mid-song,   'Dare' by Gorillaz came on and there was a sweet-ass choreographed dance routine that she and her husband surprised everyone with.  When it was finished, they transitioned right back to the rest of this stunning U2 song. Brilliant!

'Sea of Love' - Cat Power



Good lord, this song gives me the chills in the best possible way.  Cat Power has that kind of voice that is evocative and haunting, beguiling and inviting.  And this is one of my  favourite covers of any song of all time.

'Fade Into You' - Mazzy Star



Hope Sandaval's languid vocals combine with a dreamy slide guitar to create a feeling of love standing still for a few perfect minutes while the world spins around it. Love!

'Nothing Compares 2 U' - Sinead O'Connor



Prince (RIP, oh Purple One!) wrote a lovely song; Sinead O'Connor took that song under her wings and gave it beautiful life. And the video was simple and stunning!

'Baby I'm Yours' - Arctic Monkeys



Another remake that is going to be instantly familiar to older folks at at the wedding, but a fresher take on the song.  Clocking in at under 3 minutes, this song is short, but oh-so-sweet!

'Archie Marry Me' - Alvvays

#Archieisyouandmeandeverybody


Ahhh, this song melts me every time. This song can be anyone 's first dance song, it's not just for the aforementioned 'Archie'.  My first nephew Tricks loves this song and every time I listen to it I think of him. And I think of the day that he gets married and is having his very own first dance. Maybe to this song?  I will be an old lady and I will cry, but that's just because I'll remember the sweet little guy he was....and be proud of the amazing man he'll be. All happy tears! This song is not a very old song, it's a bubbly little 2014 vintage and it's just the perfect song to begin life (and one heck of a wedding celebration!) with on the dance floor!

'First Day of My Life' - Bright Eyes



So honest and humble, and hits all the right notes for the lovers and dreamers who want to love and let live, live and let love!

'The Girl' - City and Colour



Dallas Green is one of the brightest lights in a sometimes dreary musical landscape.  The voice of an angel, honest to a fault and this song is part sonnet, part celebratory romp. This would be THE perfect song for a couple who wants to have a special first dance with a surprise - when the song changes tempo from gentle lull to joyous, the happy couple might plan to have a mini party with their closest
and dearest. From the wedding party, to siblings, parents or small children, the happy and upbeat part of the song could be a jump off point for a memorable first dance!

'L-O-V-E' - Nat King Cole

Charming song, with the even more charming Amelie!

Just like it's not Christmas in my house without Ella Ditzgerald, I feel like it's not a wedding celebration without Nat King Cole's golden voice setting the mood and putting a spring in your dance step. So why not bogart one of his most heartfelt and giddily romantic songs for your big moment on the dance floor?!

'Never My Love' - The Association



We started off with April's wedding song, so I had to bookend this list with what would have been my wedding song if I'd had a big ol' wedding with a first dance.  Instead it was dinner at a steak house with my family and my dancing shoes kicked off under the table. My husband and I have danced to this song many times since our wedding, and we DID dance to it at April's wedding so while it's not our official wedding song, it's definitely 'our' song..... What will be YOUR song?

Wishing you a day as limitless as you are~
Lisa and April



No comments:

Post a Comment