Wednesday 4 November 2015

Gothic Romance and the Scent of a Woman (and Man)

My Christmas Eve come early this year - it happened on October 15th and it was everything I could have hoped for.  I spent the night with my husband and daughter and we were entertained by Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain and Charlie Hunnam at Allerdale Hall, a draughty old home whose opulent days had long come and gone. The rooms were atmospherically cold and dank and those dark corners? Yes, they were made even darker by shadows... and foreboding...

Photo courtesy of twitter.com

Ghost story and Gothic romance "Crimson Peak" by Guillermo del Toro previewed that night and after looking forward to the movie for what felt like forever (actual time: a year) I spent the day in an almost giddy state and by the time I nestled into my cozy seat in the theatre, it really did feel like all my Yule dreams were coming true. The film itself is an ode to the sumptuous, sweeping and visually stunning Gothic sensibility and while the film wasn't as terrifying as I thought it was going to be,  it took my breath away in terms of just how stunningly and beautifully - and lovingly - this movie was made. It was an eye-gasm from beginning to end, and not to give anything away, I was more frightened and shaken by the horrors of the living and reminded of how many dark corners can lurk within the human heart.  I was supposed to go with April but she was sick and I will be patient and wait to start hinting to go with her when she is up to it so I have a good reason to return to Crimson Peak!  Seriously, Guillermo del Toro made a movie that felt like a visual love letter to the literature of an period that inspired him as a filmmaker. More than a gorgeous experience, it is an amazing cheat sheet for anyone whose wedding theme is Gothic Romance. So for anyone who is thinking of incorporating this into their big day, please do yourself a favour and see this film! But to be fair, even if you're not planning a wedding, this movie is too enveloping of an experience to miss!

Photo via bustle.com
Photo courtesy of digitaltrends.com

Via digitaltrends.com

As lovely as my Christmas Eve was, I had another big day coming up.  My Christmas Day came shortly after, on October 31st and it was beautiful and full of promise and temptation. Yes, it was Hallowe'en and I have a deep appreciation for trick-or-treating kids in adorable costumes, bite-sized chocolate bars and festive, spooky decor. BUT, something even more wonderful happened....

Phot courtesy of makeupbysiryn.com

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab released a collection of scents for "Crimson Peak".  Legendary Films and Guillermo del Toro entrusted the Lab with the task of creating an olfactory mood board for the film and based on early reviews of a few prototypes of the scents at various events leading up to the official release, A) they were going to be a stunning collection and B) my wallet was going to in a world of trouble!  I was SO looking forward to the scent impressions of this film as interpreted by a truly amazing perfumery.  When the 26 scents were unveiled, I felt a knot in my stomach as I realized that I don't know how to list a kidney on the black market because I will need a goodly number of the blends. But then I felt elated because for the wedding couples who found visual inspiration from the film, the perfume collection would add another (scented) dimension to the overall Gothic theme. And as a perfume hound, the idea of perfume adding to a theme is immensely exciting, and wearing a perfume inspired by a film that has inspired the theme and overall vibe of a wedding day? Mind. Blown. This is the collection of fragrance blends that encapsulate both elements of the film as well as the dramatic and heady Gothic romanticism of the period (some deliciously scented nose candy!)

*~Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs leads us down the path to Crimson Peak~*


Beware of Crimson Peak... In all her Gothic, heart breaking, mournful yet beautiful glory!

Wishing you a day as limitless as you are~
Lisa and April

(Note: This was the blog post that didn't make it on Monday because my husband tore a muscle in his lower back and wrangling him into a rested and stationary position has been hard graft! I hope you enjoyed it! And also, to be very transparent, I am in no way or shape connected to either Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab or Guillermo del Toro. I have been wearing BPAL for 10 years and love them to bits, I have admired Mr. Del Toro ever since I journeyed through Pan's Labryinth. I'm not receiving anything for writing about either the perfume collection or the film. This is just serious love for the movie and for what it has inspired scent-wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment