Wednesday 9 November 2016

My Dirty Little Secret (and Why We Should Embrace It!)

The LBD reimagined - in velvet
Via bgfashion.net

On a new day that follows what can only be described as a shocking night in politics, it's seems that the newly elected president was the dirty little secret of a wide segment of the voting populace.  So, it seems like the perfect time to out myself;  I have a dirty little secret of my own, but thankfully, I've got the fashion industry on my side here.

I love velvet. Inky and plush, tactile and crushed, I am #teamvelvet! View Exhibit A:

#velvetstylep0rn


A few years ago, Target's designer collaboration with Joseph Altuzarra featured a crimson velvet tuxedo and that bad boy is in my closet right now.  If there's a velvet anything in any store - pillows, throws, shoes, purses, coats, you name it - I instinctively slow down and do the lingering graze/eager grab. Then come the oohs and ahhs.  And this isn't a new thing, you guys; I've loved velvet for as long as I can remember.  There's something dramatic, rich, and decadent when you go velvet.  Black looks more deep and vivid, midnight blue suggests a colour that is both endless and infinite, and a chocolate coloured velvet throw is an invitation to endless comfort.  Fashion, being what it is, has embraced my secret love and it is EVERYWHERE this season....

A little velvet for everyone!
Via fashionisers.com

Via poshclassymom.com

Want, want, need!
Via instyle.com
A coat to make the cold more bearable!
Via ferbena.com
Via cinefog.com

....which means it's only a matter of time before we see wedding decor reflect the velvet experience.
What I love about the velvet trend is that it breathes 'texture' and the juxtaposition of mixing different materials with the velvet can create dynamic looks. And you don't have to go wall-to-wall velvet; even one detail or treatment can be an instant dose of luxe!

Small details, big impact!
Via husqvarnaviking.com

Rustic meets luxe
Via fengshuidana.com


Velvet+concrete+glass+metal = mixology perfected!
Via foter.com


My velvet crush is out in the open - it's not salacious or smutty, thank goodness! But, what feels better than admitting it? Seeing velvet everywhere right now - and looking forward to a 2017 wedding season filled with my dirty little secret. Velvet has arrived and she is a Queen; pass it on!!

Wishing you a day as limitless as you are~
Lisa and April






1 comment: